Saturday, July 01, 2006

Optical vs Digital Zoom (Photography)


Instrument of Capturing Golden Moments

To tell the truth, I don't really look forward to use Digital Camera, unless I don’t just intend to store the pictures in my PC or on the net alone, which is accessible only to me and few at my home.

I own a Pentax 738S 38mm-70mm Zoom Camera (approx 2X Zoom), which I had purchased in the year 2000, for 80 Pounds.

Even if technology has changed a lot since then, I still love to use the same camera (my first camera). Many a times I have felt that the pictures taken from this camera is much better than the Digital camera of 2X Optical Zoom & 5X Digital Zoom (not just in print, but even when I had got the prints converted to jpg from Kodak).

Why this difference? The difference lies in Digital and Optical Zoom, which I think would help those who plan to buy a Digital camera.

Optical Zoom is which many buyers don’t look at and are often hidden by sales person is a very important factor while buying a Digital camera. A digital camera that offers optical zoom is the same zoom in the normal camera; where as digital zoom is just scaling up the pixels in the final image after it is captured. This can even be done easily on a computer with some image editing software.

Simply doubling the size of pixels will not give a blurred picture as some approximate colored pixels are used to fill the vacant spaces. All this uses is some guess and hence is very different from natural photo.

Nowadays mostly all the cameras that are available has both Optical & Digital Zoom, but try to find a Digital camera which allows you to select among them while you take the pictures. The more the Optical Zoom the better the pictures.

And yes, don’t compare Optical Zoom with Resolution.

No comments: